Today would have been Tao Porchon-Lynch’s 102nd birthday! In case you are not sure who she is, Tao was the oldest and coolest yoga teacher in the world. Her energy, smile and lively spirit were contagious and she left a wonderful impression on her students and anyone that crossed her path.
Tao claimed yoga and pranayama where the main reasons for her longevity and high energy. And she was right. Today, more studies show that a regular yoga practice has anti-aging benefits and it also helps us age better.
In Tao’s honor, we put together a list of a few of the benefits of a regular practice as we start getting older so you too can age as gracefully as her.
A regular yoga practice (at least 3 times per week) can:
– Slow physical aging at a cellular and DNA level – look and feel better no matter what age.
– Reduce inflammation and stress in the body
– Improve sleeping habits
– Alleviate aches and pains
– Enhance flexibility, mobility, strength and balance
– Increase anti-aging hormones in the brain
– Encourage retention of muscle mass
– Strengthen bones and minimize hypertension
– Promote better transfer of nutrients and water to the joint spaces, spinal disks and cartilage.
– Increase lung capacity – specially when you also practice pranayama
Aside from the incredible internal and external physiological benefits of adopting a yoga practice as we age, yoga can also help us regulate our emotions and be more in tune with our true self. Yoga also helps us heal from our past traumas and negative emotions.
So unroll your Shakti Warrior Yoga mat and get moving, breathing and flowing like Tao did so we too can live a long, happy, healthy and fulfilling life like hers!