Doing yoga regularly is good for your mental & physical health. You can perform it in your room, at your terrace, at the local park, or just about any free space. But you need to be aware of what is yoga & how it will benefit your health & mind. Also, there are many advantages of adding yoga to your exercise program.
Also referred to as sun salutations are performed traditionally in the morning hours. The purpose is to greet the rising sun & seek its divine blessings. It requires you to carry out some postures, but in a given sequence to derive its benefits. It helps you to be better prepared for a much longer asana routine and is regarded as a complete practice. Surya namaskar is generally practiced in sets of 5. However, if doing it for the first time, then you are recommended to start with 2-3. You need to synchronize your breath, especially with your body movements.
Make sure to have a yoga mat:
Also, Yoga Mat helps practitioners to keep their hold strong on the surface due to its anti-slipping nature and also provides a sort of insulation between the human body and the ground. So, a Yoga mat is recommended and while doing Yoga you can find it online at Amazon or any other online marketplaces but make sure to check reviews at RevExpo to find right Yoga mat.
Steps to follow to complete sun salutations:
What is yoga & sun salutation form? You can develop a longer sequence by adding your own postures or simply practice it as it is.
- Tadasana, Hands in Prayer (Mountain Pose): Stand on the yoga mat in Mountain pose (Tadasana) to begin this sequence. Lengthen your spine, stall tall & allow even spread of body weight across your feet. Both your big toes need to touch one another. Breathe steadily & focus your attention to it.
- Urdhva Hastasana – Tadasana (Mountain Pose in Arms raised position): Swing forwards your arms while you inhale and reach upwards over your head. Then turn your palms facing one another & open your chest externally.
- Uttanasana (Forward Fold): In this Surya namaskar step, fold gently forwards from the hip region while exhaling. In case, your head does not reach your knee, then explore available movement. In case, your lower back feels a strain, then try to soften & bend knees as much as possible.
- Ardha Uttanasana (Raised forward fold): Lift our head & chest slightly straighten your back & inhale continuously and look forward. Being flexible will allow your hands to be on the floor or slide them up to your shins close to your knee.
- Uttanasana (Standing forward bend): Hollow out belly while exhaling, try to fold back into this pose. Now inhale.
- Plank pose: Then as you exhale, keep palms shoulder-width apart on the yoga mat. Being in this posture, your wrist-top needs to be above your wrist back directly. Also, your feet need to be hip-distance apart and have a straight spine. You can invest in a Yoga line Alignment mat with customized alignment guides. This will help you to identify your feet & hand positioning.
- Chaturanga Dandasana (4 limbed staff pose): Exhale & bend your elbows from the plank. Lower down to the floor & bring your elbows near your chest. Stop lowering before touching the floor.
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward-Facing Dog): Inhale & with your toes pointed backward, straighten your arms & arch your back. Position directly your shoulders on your wrist top. This Surya namaskar posture helps prevent unwanted injuries to your shoulders & lower back. Pull back & down your shoulders, open up your chest & lift it. Engage your leg muscles & relax gluteal muscles. This will protect your spine. You can ensure the correct positioning of your hands by using a good quality Yoga line Alignment mat.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog): Be on your toes and with pressed palms, lift your hips. Exhale backward while getting into this position. Do ensure to keep your spine long, spine down, and shoulders pulled back. Now, lift high your tailbone & press your chest towards the toes. In this Surya Namaskar pose, you can bend slightly your knees to keep a long spine. Now, straighten your head & relax your neck.
- Lunge: Inhale & keep your left foot forward into the Lunge position. In case, you find it tough to smoothly forward your foot, then you can bend your knees towards the floor. This can you do just after Downward Dog posture and between hands, step forward. Now, straighten your back knee to Lunge posture.
- Mountain Pose: Inhale and bend slightly in the knees to complete this Surya namaskar position. You can then either jump your feet or step towards mat top in-between hands. Raise your chest from this position from the hips region. Now, lift your hands towards the sky and exhale. Relax your arms and bring it back to rest beside your body.
Performing this yoga posture, you will feel peace of mind, complete relaxation & inner satisfaction. But you need to practice it daily and may take some to master the steps. You need to perform this Surya namaskar yoga with proper & correct alignment & posture. This form will help you to move ahead to perform more advanced & complicated yoga asanas & benefit from it.